Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Thursday MM - Day 1 (one)

Good Morning!

Thanks to the SIT for taking the time and effort to THINK.  I want for our SIT to become the forum where we can approach tough subjects and have informed debate on the value of our efforts.  Next time we meet, we will dig through EOQ and DIBELS data to determine if our SIP addresses our response to data.  Way back when, I had a wake-up call  to my response to data.....in my second year at RJR I was "recruited" to coach slow pitch softball in the year before the switch to fast pitch.  I was a placeholder coach on a team that had not won 10 total games in the previous three years.  So after a lopsided loss to North Davidson, we came to practice the next day, and of course to make matters worse, it was raining.  So I decided to have the girls practice sliding.  Coach West laughed so hard at me later that day as he said, "You lost 25 to nothing and never got a runner on base, and the next day you practice sliding?"  "I got an Idea, why don't you practice catching the ball?"  I was pleasant in my response and realized that my decision to slide was based on wanting the girls to have fun and play in the rain.  Very short sighted and only solved the problem for that particular day.  I knew then that for us to feel better after our next game, we needed to improve our hitting and fielding, and our practices must focus on that goal.  In our elementary world we make decisions everyday that are for immediate solutions to problems.  Let's all be intentional with our teaching and focus on the needs of each and every student.

Now what does this have to do with SIT, EOQ and DIBELS?  You tell me.  I look forward to hearing your connections to my "story" as I am in the building on Friday.  Why not Thursday?  Well, I have a elementary principals meeting until noon and then PTA board at 1pm.  So if you can catch me Thursday after-school we can discuss your theory on my rambling.

Enjoy the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment