Thursday, June 26, 2014

Summer Update #1 - Thursday June 26th

USA - USA - USA

The drama of the World Cup reminds me of the distinct pleasure of working in a diverse school.  We have national allegiances to 
  • Columbia
  • Ecuador
  • Uruguay
  • Mexico
  • USA
  • Others that I surely have neglected - sorry
Enjoy the drama, or tune out.   Summer is here and the choice is yours.

PBIS Reflection
In an effort to sustain and grow our amazing climate I am going to add this section to the daily blog.  So for my first effort I want to reflect on our leadership to resist connecting the actions of one individual to a group.
  • Suarez, the star of the Uruguay, is accused of POOR sportsmanship with a "bite" to the back of an Italian player on Tuesday.  I was rooting for Uruguay as that is the home country of Silvia Correa.  Do I stop rooting for the Team?  Do I sever my friendship with Silvia before she bites?
  • We often roll out group consequences for our classrooms.  Principals have even created policies that target one or two behaviors, yet affect many folks in a deleterious manner. (not me of course....?)
  • I challenge us to reflect on this complex issue and grow our practice with students to balance our judgments concerning individual and community.
Staffing updates
  • I have made two recommendations to our HR department for staff to be hired that are EIE trained!  A network of STEM schools trained by Liz Parry is starting to take hold!  I will be able to release their names after they complete the employment process with WSFCS.  I will also be able to inform teachers that are on the bubble for grade level assignment next year before the next blog on July 10th.  If you are part of a "move," expect an e-mail July 9th.  The "lineup" will be listed in the next posting.
I apologize that I am unable to post our winning entry on the new sign.  we have 3 lines to work with and entries that garnered votes all had 4 or more lines that need vertical alignment to convey their message. I am going to post the summer enrichment dates and be boring until August.




No comments:

Post a Comment